Epigenetics may explain why a baby born to an obese surrogate mother with a skinny biological mom may harbor a greater risk of becoming obese than a baby from a big biological mom born to a slim surrogate.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free e-newsletter and receive a recipe from Dr. Greger’s brand-new cookbook, The How Not to Diet Cookbook: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
A few weeks ago, I had a video about The Best Diet for Weight Loss & Disease Prevention (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-diet-for-weight-loss-and-disease-prevention). But what triggered the whole obesity epidemic? It’s a multitude of factors, and I covered many of them in my 11-video series on the epidemic:
• The Role of Diet vs. Exercise in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-diet-vs-exercise-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Genes in the Obesity Epidemic (https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/the-role-of-genes-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Thrifty Gene Theory: Survival of the Fattest (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-thrifty-gene-theory-survival-of-the-fattest)
• Cut the Calorie-Rich-And-Processed Foods (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cut-the-calorie-rich-and-processed-foods)
• The Role of Processed Foods in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-processed-foods-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Taxpayer Subsidies in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-taxpayer-subsidies-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Marketing in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-marketing-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Food Advertisements in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-food-advertisements-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Personal Responsibility in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-personal-responsibility-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of Corporate Influence in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-corporate-influence-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
• The Role of the Toxic Food Environment in the Obesity Epidemic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-the-toxic-food-environment-in-the-obesity-epidemic)
There are other ways by which we are what our moms ate:
• Heart Disease May Start in the Womb (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/heart-disease-may-start-in-the-womb)
• Maternal Diet May Affect Stress Responses in Children (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/maternal-diet-may-affect-stress-responses-in-children/)
• The Effect of Animal Protein on Stress Hormones, Testosterone, and Pregnancy (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-effect-of-animal-protein-on-stress-hormones-testosterone-and-pregnancy)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-epigenetics-in-the-obesity-epidemic and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-role-of-epigenetics-in-the-obesity-epidemic. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.” Do you have feedback about the translations in this video? Please share it here along with the title of the video and language: https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/hc/requests/new
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.org